Ellie's (Grade 7) Math Blog

An online space for Ellie and any other grade 7 students out there to get help and learn more math!

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Order of Operations - PEDMAS

Hi Ellie!

Thanks for letting me know what you're working on. I've got some stuff here to help.

Before we get to that though I want to make sure that you've conquered the stuff I posted for you previously. Knowing your addition and multiplication facts is really important. We have to work on those until you're an expert! Have you won the races I left for you? If you haven't yet keep at it until you do -- and let me know how it's going -- how many are you getting right when the time runs out?

PEDMAS is a memory trick (mnemonic is a $10.00 word for memory trick) to help you remember the "order of operations." In other words, when you have a bunch of different operations in an expression all mixed together which one should you do first? PEDMAS stands for
Parentheses

Exponents

Division
Multiplication (first come, first served)

Addition
Subtraction (first come, first served)

Some people call it PEMDAS or BEDMAS, B for Brackets instead of Parentheses. It's all the same thing.

Watch this slide show. If you want more review, click on the tutorial, if you think you've got it try the pre-test. Keep taking the pre-test until you get it perfect. (10 questions)

You can find another review of this stuff here. There are several examples worked out step-by-step and 5 examples (including one word problem) you can try. The computer will tell you right away if you got it right. ;-) If you keep getting it wrong and can't figure out why look back over the lesson. If that still doesn't make sense, email me. Keep at it until you get all five right.

3 Comments:

  • At 11/13/2005 6:44 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dear drearen ,
    i like the stuff that you've put for this but i need more explanation and a little slower plaese.
    my math teacher told me that my math was improving ever since i told her that you were helping me so i gave the site name to her and she said that she would give it to any of her gr. 7 students who need help.
    love. Ellie :)

     
  • At 11/13/2005 6:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh and dearen please use smaller words that are eaiser to understand.

    please and thankyou

    Ellie

    OH NO i need your help waht happens when for the thigy were you pput you name and you e-mail or somthing that you spell your e-mail ronge what happens!!!!??!!??!!¿¿⁄!!!!???!!??!!??

    Ellie

     
  • At 11/19/2005 12:38 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dear Dearen,

    i need more stuff i know that you said you wanted me to do all the plus and substraction stuff but with so little veriaty of things todo its just getting boring and with me my mom said this to me and my dad agrees they said that i only do things welll that im interested in and have choises so if you can plaese find more for me to do

    thank you

    Elly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home